Week #12 - Painted Skies

Hi Everyone,

It is hard to believe that 12 weeks have gone by! Sometimes it feels like it's all been one day and sometimes it feels like it's been several years. Janet and I were talking and we realized that we should let you know that you can always choose to do use an earlier prompt or send your paining or drawing in later. We want you to know that we are definitely not on a strict schedule! These prompts are really designed to help us get through these difficult times. so use them the way it works best for you.

I've been thinking a lot about skies - a good place to look when you need to take a breath and feel like there is some space. I love painting skies, but I also struggle with them. The beauty of the clouds or the subtle change in color is always a challenge, but a worthy one. It helps me to look at a lot of artist's approaches to skies, ( including, my hero, once again - Sargent)

This week, the suggested prompt will be to do several studies of clouds. Maybe at different times of day, maybe with different types of clouds or with out any clouds. One thing that I find helpful is a simple rule that helps to show distance when painting a sky. The color at the top of your paper is always darker and fades to a lighter tone as it moves to the horizon.

Here is a video of me painting a wash for the sky. this one is without clouds just to show you what I mean about the change in tone.  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y3jLIM8EXKhucap8bpq1Vq_4HCn0-OKN/view?usp=sharing

Here is a links to some artist's paintings of skies

http://the-creative-business.com/10-sky-paintings-famous-artists/

And lastly, Here are a few more by Sargent.

Hope you enjoy painting some skies!











Janet Filemyr worked on this painting with a luminous sky. "I spent the week making different sky paintings. These are the result. I want to keep working on skies."


Virgina Naughton says "Sky was a good challenge to match a week with changing weather,  protests over injustice, and NY's first steps out of quarantine.  I took many photos of a very present sky at Marine Park Salt Marsh to paint later. I like playing with 'wet in wet' even if the wet paper & pigment puddles always seem to be one step ahead of me."



 

Riki Lee painted these beautiful miniature illustrations.


Artist Sarah Tanzer:

"Above is a sky I recently painted.  I was looking at some of my older  paintings (from about 20-25 years ago!) and found this painting of a barn. The paint on the top part--including sky --was chipping so I removed as much of it possible and re-painted the sky. I'd  love recommendations for painters who did interesting skies as I have 
been trying to find oil paintings of and including skies to paint from. I was looking at Constable, 
who I love but want to find paintings of skies that are simpler with less clouds.  Something along the lines of Caspar David Friedrich. I'm going to try my hand at oil pastels as I'd like to start painting outside more but am not ambitious enough to pack up and schlepp all my oil paints and french easel. 



Comments

Popular Posts